A quick, easy & nutritious recipe that can be served for any meal. It makes a great one pan brunch, and is great served with avocado, a simple side salad or some toasted spelt sourdough. The eggs make this a protein packed, fertility-supprting meal, and the lycopene from the tomaotes has been shown to boost sperm quality, so a great one for all the family to enjoy!
Servings 4 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped into thin strips
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes 400g tins
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Heat a deep, large skillet on medium heat. Slowly warm olive oil in the pan, then add onion and cook for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften. Add garlic and continue to cook until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the sliced bell pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes longer.
- Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until combined. Add spices, stir, and allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until it starts to reduce.
- Add salt and pepper and mix.
- Make 6 wells in the sauce and crack the eggs, one at a time, directly on to the tomato mixture into each well, making sure to space them evenly over the sauce.
- Cover the pan and allow the mixture to simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked and the sauce has slightly reduced. Keep an eye on the skillet to make sure that the sauce doesn't reduce too much, which can lead to burning.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley, if desired.
Spread the love