Zingy Red Lentil Soup
A nutritious, flavourful and immensely satisfying Mediterranean favourite. This lentil soup is filled with protein from the lentils, good fats from the extra virgin olive oil drizzle (essential for healthy hormone production), detoxifying goodness from the coriander, and antioxidant & phytonutrient goodness from the vegetables. I like to make a double batch and freeze into individual portions for a quick & easy lunch.
Servings 4 people
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch ground chilli powder
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 lemon juice of
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot and glistening. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper and chilli powder, and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, 2 cups water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Using a blender or food processor, purée half the soup then add it back to pot. Soup should be a little chunky.
- Stir in lemon juice and coriander. Serve soup drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
Spread the love